Thursday 27 April 2017

TIN LAMP FOR LIGHT AND SLAPS

TIN LAMP FOR LIGHT AND SLAPS
One of the things that made mummy, dad and my elderly siblings whip me was this little lamp in the house, I always wished it was never bought and brought in that house. In my tribe Luo, we call it "Nyangile or Othung'a gi nyiero" meaning choked with laughter, the main reason why I was being whipped. My  dad one of the funniest guys in our house could crack a joke and when I opened my big mouth to laugh it killed the lamp and everyone could stay in the dark meanwhile I could get knocks on my head from people I couldn't see followed by an angry voice commanding me to find out how the lamp could be lit again.Unfortunately it always happened that whenever this incident could occur  it could occur there was no matches in the house and so I could be  asked to go and light it up in my neighbors house, this was another big challenge as strong wind blowing at night  could kill it over and over again until when mum could come for my help at last. This was an experience that most of the 80's and 90's kids from the slum and rural areas faced. 


A kid in Kibera Soweto finding a place to place her tin lamb to light her mum's fish business.

A kid in Kibera 42 carrying a tin lamp that her mum uses in the hotel at night when attending to her customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment